Canterbury Shaker Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Recipe
- 1 cup (generous) rhubarb, cut up
- 1 cup (generous) strawberries, sliced
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons (generous) cornstarch or tapioca
- Butter (or margarine)
- Unbaked pie shell (additional crust for top optional)
- Mix rhubarb, berries, and salt. Mix sugar and corn starch and add to berries. Put in pie shell. Dot with butter. Bake raw in the oven at 400 degrees to start, for 10 minutes, until the crust sets. Turn the oven down to 375 degrees and cook until done, about 45 minutes.
Reprinted with Permission from Seasoned with Grace: Recipes from My Generation of Shaker Cooking (Second Edition) by Eldress Bertha Lindsay and edited by Mary Rose Boswell and Published by Countryman Press, 2018.
Seasoned with Grace: Recipes from My Generation of Shaker Cooking (Second Edition) (Countryman Press, 2018), by Eldress Bertha Lindsay and edited by Mary Rose Boswell, gives readers a closer look at those in the Canterbury Shaker Village and how they survived. Find new recipes from Eldress Bertha and the sisters that she cooked with. Learn the how’s and why’s of dishes that were served. This excerpt is from the Chapter, “Pies.”