Quick & Easy Oven-Roasted Tomato Sauce
By Mary Murray
Having found our farmhouse kitchen filled with tomatoes (translation: tomatoes on windowsills, overflowing from baskets, and rolling off counter tops) I decided yesterday it was really time I did something with them.
After all, how could anyone not LOVE a garden-fresh tomato on a hearty BLT sandwich or in homemade salsa? So while our garden bounty has been wonderful, we did have a bit of a dilemma … we were getting overrun. So here’s what I did … I roasted them in the oven.
Trust me, the aroma of the roasting tomatoes was wonderful, and really, there’s no way to mess up the recipe … I’d say it’s practically impossible!
– Quarter as many tomatoes as will fill a 13×9-inch pan. There’s no need to core or peel the tomatoes, although I did slice off the stem end.
– Add pressed garlic to taste.
– Drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper; stir to coat tomatoes.
– Pop baking pan into a 400 degree F oven for 45 minutes.
– After the tomatoes have roasted, spoon them into a blender and puree. Add 3 tablespoons Italian seasoning and additional salt to taste; blend to combine.
– Add a quartered onion, and blend once again.
That’s it … you’re done!
The recipe can easily be changed to suit your tastes. I skipped the Italian seasoning because I had fresh herbs … I added snips of oregano, garlic chives, rosemary, basil, and French tarragon, then let the blender chop them up into the sauce. I also added a pinch of sugar … just because I always think homemade tomato sauce needs a bit of sweetness.
Pour the sauce into freezer jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace, and place in the freezer.
And so this winter, when we find ourselves snowed in, I’ll be able to pull out the savory taste of summertime.
Honey-Infused Beverage Recipes
Honey-infused drinks from soda to switchel beverages for beekeepers and lovers, natural antioxidants, throat soothing, good for guts, delicious.
Plum Kuchen Recipe
Theresa Wagner, Madison, Wisconsin, offers a Plum Kuchen Recipe that works for breakfast or dessert.
Kuku Sabzi Recipe
Make this beautiful and tangy Iranian dish with light herbs, garlic, zereshk and hold it all together with eggs.