Fall Brings Pumpkins
By Ginnie Baker
The trees are beginning to wear their fall colors, and the pumpkins are ripening on the vines.
That signals the beginning of the beautiful fall season and all of the fun activities that families can enjoy.
It’s also the time for one of my favorite recipes. I always have pumpkins in the garden, and this is a great way to use a couple of them!
Stuffed Sugar Pumpkin
From Country Living magazine: “Native Americans were enjoying wild rice, pumpkins and venison for centuries before the first Colonists discovered the trio’s delicious flavors.”
• 1-1/2 cups water
• 1 pound ground venison or lean ground beef or lamb
• 1/2 cup wild rice
• 1/2 cup chopped green onions
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon crushed dried sage
• 1, 4-5 pound sugar pumpkin
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
1. In a 1-quart saucepan, heat the water to boiling over high heat. Stir in wild rice and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Return to boiling; cover; reduce heat to low and cook 40-45 minutes or until rice is tender and all the water is absorbed.
2. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the top off the pumpkin and remove the seeds and fiber from the pumpkin. Place 1/2 inch of water in a shallow roasting pan and place the pumpkin in the pan.
3. In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the ground meat and sauté until brown. 4. Set aside 1 tablespoon of the green onions and stir the remaining onions, the cooked rice, sage, remaining salt and the pepper into the mixture. Spoon the meat mixture into the pumpkin and cover the top with aluminum foil.
5. Bake the stuffed pumpkin for 45-60 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender when pierced with a fork. Add more water to the pan as needed to keep the pumpkin from sticking.
6. Remove the foil and place the pumpkin on a serving dish; sprinkle with remaining onions.
7. To serve, cut the pumpkin in wedges.
Butterscotch Pie Recipe with a Lard Crust
Use lard to make the perfect pie crust for a sweet butterscotch meringue pie.
Mulberry Muffins Recipe
Try these delicious and easy-to-make mulberry muffins, whether for breakfast or a snack.
Mulberry Scones Recipe
Make these easy and flavorful scones bursting with mulberries.