- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 medium bananas, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 8 thick slices bread
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a saucepan over medium heat on a camp stove.
- Add the brown sugar and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the bananas and cook for 1 or 2 minutes, until the pieces are heated through and begin to break down.
- Add the rum, bring to a boil (you may need to raise the heat), and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla (if using) in a medium bowl or pot.
- Submerge the bread slices (a couple at a time) in the egg mixture and let soak for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the soaked bread, 2 or 3 slices at a time, to the skillet and cook for about 3 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom.
- Turnover and cook for another 3 minutes or so, until golden brown.
- Repeat with the remaining bread and egg mixture, adding more butter to the pan as needed. Serve hot, topped with the banana mixture.
- Make it at Home: Banana-Pecan French Toast Mix the eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- Place the bread slices in a single layer on a greased baking sheet, and pour the egg mixture over the top.
- Cover and chill for at least 8 hours.
- Before cooking, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix together 1/2 cup packed brown sugar; 1/2 cup pecans; 3 medium bananas, peeled and diced; and 2 tablespoons dark rum.
- Spread the pecan mixture over the top of the bread slices, and dot with butter.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, until the pecan mixture is golden brown.
More from Campfire Cuisine:
Excerpted from Campfire Cuisine by Robin Donovan © 2006 Quirk Books.
Campfire Cuisine (Quirk Books, 2006) by Robin Donovan is a guide to cooking delicious meals while camping. Food does not have to be elaborate to be delicious. Outdoor cooking is good food simply prepared to taste delicious. There is something special about a meal prepared and consumed in the fresh air, under the twinkling stars, away from all the bustle of a busy life and these recipes can do that!