Easy Garden Salsa
By Carrie Miller | Sep 10, 2018
What time of year is it? Canning time!
With all the great left-over garden yummies, salsa is an easy choice. I am going to share my sweet and spicy salsa recipe with all of you. I will make this is easy as possible especially, for all the new canners out there.
Let us start with the canning equipment you will need:
- Hot water bath or pressure cooker
- Jar tongs
Cooking equipment needed:
- Stock pot
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Large spoon
- 3 quarts of peeled and cored tomatoes chopped
- 2 cups of onions
- 1 cup sweet peppers
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 2-3 hot peppers depending on size and type (milder varieties use 3 hotter varieties 2)
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 1-2 cups of white sugar depending on how sweet you like it (I use 2)
- 2 Tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 large can of tomato paste (in case salsa is too runny)
- Place all your ingredients into the stock pot.
- Cook for one and a half hours over medium heat.
- Stirring occasionally to help keep from the bottom scorching.
- Once you have cooked the salsa for an hour place your canner on the stove add the jars, lids, and rings into the water bath. Bring to a rolling boil.
- Your salsa should now be about ready. Pull all your jars, lids, and rings out, they are ready to be filled.
- If your salsa is too chunky use an immersion blender to smooth the salsa before you jar it up.
- Funnel the salsa into the jars and tighten the lids and rings.
- Place the jars into the water bath and cook at a rolling boil for 45 mins. If you rather pressure can them do so at 10lbs for 10 mins.
Photos property of Carrie Miller.
Create a Home Canning Pantry That Works for You
If you’re anything like me you might be somewhat limited on your space. We have six people and live in a 1,500-square-foot home. I’m not complaining one bit about its size but sometimes, I do need to get creative when it comes to storing home canned foods and my canning supplies. If this is the […]
How to Start Steam Canning
Steam canning is the fastest way to can and ideal for beginners or experienced preservers alike.
5 Things To Do Right Now To Prepare For Canning Season Next year
With all that happens during the canning season, there are a few things you can do right now to prepare for next season that will make your life a little easier come harvest time.