SIMPLE STEW AND SOUP RECIPES:
10 Homemade Stew and Soup Recipes for Fall and Winter
- 2 pounds stew beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed thyme leaves
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound red potatoes, 1 1/2-inch diameter, cut into quarters
- 8 ounces assorted fresh mushrooms, such as shiitake, cremini and oyster, cut into quarters
- 1 cup baby carrots
- Fresh parsley, optional
- Place beef in 4 1/2- to 5 1/2-quart slow-cooker.
- In small bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Sprinkle over beef in slow-cooker, and toss to coat.
- In another small bowl, combine broth, tomato paste, wine and garlic; mix well.
- Pour over beef mixture. Add potatoes, mushrooms and carrots, and mix well.
- Cover and cook on high for 5 to 6 hours or on low for 8 to 9 hours, or until beef and vegetables are tender. (No stirring is necessary during cooking).
- Stir well. Garnish with parsley, if desired, and serve hot. Yields 6 (1 1/2-cup) servings.