There is no better time than the summer to invite all your friends over and get the barbecue going. Celebrity food guru Tosca Reno, creator of the famed Eat-Clean Diet, prepared a complete summer menu from her Eat-Clean Diet Series filled with barbecued shrimp and vegetables, fruit-laden desserts and hydrating beverages that will be sure to please your guests without sacrificing the extra calories.
Beverage: Watermelon Sangria; Salad: Refreshing Salad; Dessert: Chocolate-Coated Frozen Bananas. And for the rest of the meal:
Appetizer: BRUSCHETTA WITH TOMATOES
3 large tomatoes, chopped fine
¼ cup arugula, chopped fine
¼ chopped basil
4¼ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 cloves garlic, passed through garlic press
½ teaspoon sea salt
Freshly group black pepper
1 loaf whole-grain French baguette, sliced into half-inch diagonal slices
1. Combine all ingredients except bread two hours before serving. I store mine in a large glass Mason jar.
2. When ready to serve, toast bread.
3. Spoon the chopped tomato mixture on top of toasted baguette slices or place bread in a basket and serve the tomato mixture on the side.
NOTE: If you don’t plan on using the tomato mixture right away, it should be refrigerated. Otherwise serve at room temperature.
Side Dish: ROASTED SUMMER VEGETABLES WITH COUSCOUS
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 10 servings
2 purple onions, peeled and cut into chunks
3 yellow baby squash or zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then cut into 2-inch chunks
3 small leeks, white or tender green insides only, cut in half lengthwise washed well and cut into 2-inch chunks
4 small plum tomatoes
3 or 4 bell peppers in varying colors, seeded, deveined and quartered
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
Several garlic cloves, passed through garlic press
1 tablespoon dried thyme
5 sprigs rosemary, chopped fine
1 teaspoon sea salt
2½ cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup whole-grain couscous
1 teaspoon sea salt
3 scallions trimmed and chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400°F / 200°C.
2. Prepare baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
3. Combine all vegetables in a large mixing bowl. Add olive oil, garlic, thyme and chopped rosemary.
4. Mix well and arrange vegetables on a baking sheet. Lay a few whole sprigs of rosemary over the top of the pan and sprinkle salt over top.
5. Place in hot oven and roast for 20 minutes. Turn vegetables, and continue roasting for 20 minutes or until done. Do not over cook. Turn off oven and open oven door slightly.
6. Serve vegetables over coucous in a decorative platter. Drizzle pan juices from vegetables over top.
1. Place couscous grains in a heatproof dish.
2. Bring stock to a boil. Remove from heat.
3. Pour boiling stock over couscous. Cover with a plate. Let stand for about 10 minutes to absorb stock.
4. Fluff with a fork. Add chopped scallions and salt. Toss lightly to combine.
Main Dish: GRILLED SHRIMP KEBABS WITH AVOCADO GINGER
Shrimp and marinade:
Juice of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 orange
¼ cup light soy sauce
¼ cup avocado oil
3 garlic cloves, pressed through garlic press
2 tablespoons agave nectar
2 teaspoons fresh ginger
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
16 large shrimp, peeled and deveine
1 each red, green, yellow bell pepper, seeded and deveined, cut into eighths
8 baby grape tomatoes, washed and kept whole
2 small firm green zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1½-inch pieces
12 button mushrooms, cleaned and left whole
¼ cup avocado oil.
(Recipe requires overnight marinating time)
For Shrimp and Marinade:
1. Place all ingredients but shrimp in a large bowl. Mix well.
2. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Place in refrigerator overnight.
1. Preheat grill.
2. Remove shrimp from refrigerator
3. Using four long metal or soaked bamboo skewers, thread shrimp and vegetables, alternating colors and ingredients
4. Brush avocado oil on the kebabs. Place on grill and cook, turning frequently, until done.
Note: Avocado oil has a pleasant flavor and unique qualities but can be difficult to find. If you are having a hard time tracking it down, use olive oil instead.
It is easy to increase the size of this recipe. Just double or triple as you see fit.
These light, healthy and delicious menu options are compliments of Tosca Reno and can all be found in Eat Clean Diet Recharged and Eat Clean Cookbook.