- Products for Wiser Living
Showing 61 - 72 of 181 results
Live self-sufficiently with the help of these three premium issues from MOTHER EARTH NEWS! Ditch the store-bought and pre-made life, and live off the land with these guides, each featuring more than 100 pages of content. With this special package, you’ll receive:
MOTHER EARTH NEWS PREMIUM: MODERN HOMESTEADING SPRING 2015
Modern Homesteading features more than 25 articles that cover off-grid living, easy food gardens, solar heating plans, preserving food, and much more.
Read how to start a no-dig, easy-care bag garden that produces 25 favorite food crops. Discover how to make a food self-sufficiency plan by estimating how much to grow or buy, and learn how to achieve food security with the help of our handy charts and guidelines. With this guide’s help, keep bees and produce fresh, delicious honey in your own backyard. Make your own herbal medicine by finding ingredients for many basic herbal remedies.
Other articles include:
• Easy, No-Knead Crusty Bread: Bake crispy, gorgeous loaves from scratch using this simple technique. All you need are a few ingredients and a blazing-hot Dutch oven for miraculous results.
• Five DIY, Low-Cost, and Multipurpose Greenhouses: Use recycled materials to create an affordable garden greenhouse so you can enjoy fresh food all year long!
• Emergency Power Options: With the right generator, you’ll be prepared when storms or blackouts leave you without electricity.
• Backyard Chicken Basics: They’re less work than house pets and more fun than a tire swing. Plus, they provide delicious, nutritious eggs.
• How to Make Yogurt, Kefir, and Cheese: Tap the health benefits of rich, tangy fermented milk products.
MOTHER EARTH NEWS PREMIUM: SELF-RELIANCE AND COUNTRY SKILLS
This MOTHER EARTH NEWS Premium Issue will help you live off your land and save money! Inside, you’ll find the top tools for a half-acre homestead; learn to pressure can meat; source truly high-quality garden seeds; read how to raise sheep; and more.
Learn the most important self-reliance skill ever by mastering six habits to getting the right work done, the right way. Read the best staple crops for building food self-sufficiency, and fill your pantry and boost your food security by growing 10 space-efficient, calorie-rich staple crops that return high yields and store easily sans fossil fuels. Discover the benefits of the American Guinea hog; a perfect size for smaller homesteads, this heritage breed is easy to manage and provides choice meat and lard.
Other articles include:
• Winter’s Glowing Root Vegetables – Brilliant beets and cold-hardy carrots can help light up your winter meals.
• How to Make Compost – Choose from the many easy ways to make compost for increased garden productivity.
• Expert Advice for Greenhouse Growing – Build a greenhouse in your backyard and you’ll be amazed at its many use.
• Raise Sheep: Low-Maintenance Livestock – Requiring less space and capital than cattle, sheep can provide homegrown, pastured meat with terrific flavor and a powerful nutrient profile. Many sheep breeds can also help turn rocky, dry hillsides into productive pasture.
• 5 Delicious Wild Greens – Give up the war on weeds and embrace the fortifying vegetables right outside your door.
MOTHER EARTH NEWS PREMIUM: SELF-SUFFICIENT LIVING
Become more reliant on yourself and your land with the MOTHER EARTH NEWS Premium Issue: Self-Sufficient Living. Learn how to hatch your own flock of chickens, grow food in less space, find your perfect country property, and get your own no-mortgage natural cottage. Get the best tips for keeping livestock, harnessing natural energy from a DIY wind generator, and making your own medicine. Save money and live healthily with all the best tips for living self-reliantly. Feel the true sense of accomplishment with the help of all the tips from Self-Sufficient Living.
Other articles include:
• Care and Cultivation of Permanent Garden Beds – Provide a secure habitat for the dynamic soil food web that sustains your crops by establishing permanent garden bed and paths.
• Grow Your Own Shiitake Mushrooms – Take these steps to fruit your own fungi for money, food, and fun.
• How to Make Your Own Moccasins – Take your tanned animal skins one step further by turning the leather into comfortable, durable footwear.
• Start a Work-from-Home Business – Our readers get down to business, offering advice on how to be your own boss.
• Homestead Helpers: Sheep, Cattle, Pigs, and Poultry – Livestock aren’t just useful for meat and eggs. They can mow lawns, work garden soil, dig stumps, and more!
Creative, flavorful meals made with fresh, natural ingredients can bring the strength and vitality of nature into your life. Packed with 901 pages of useful information, the Whole Foods E-book Projects Collection can teach you the secrets to cooking with edible flowers, cooking and preparing wild game and more.
For the first time, Mother Earth News is proud to offer the complete Whole Foods and Cooking E-book Project Collection. This comprehensive collection includes 25 useful e-books with titles ranging from "Cooking with Honey" to "Perfect Grilled Meats". The Whole Foods and Cooking E-handbook Set is packed with practical information, innovative ideas and creative projects to inspire nutritious and delicious dining.
E-handbooks Included in the Set:
More and more households are using herbs and herbal remedies for growing, cooking and healing. The fifth edition of the MOTHER EARTH NEWS Guide to Healing Herbs is filled with articles to help guide you through growing and using herbs. Learn the household uses for tea tree oil, witch hazel, turmeric, cinnamon and more. Read what herbs you should have on hand in your medicine chest and what herbs help with what ailment. Delicious recipes and helpful gardening tips are also included.
Filled with beautiful color photos, this guide will arm you with the most valuable information on keeping your family happy and healthy this cold and flu season with natural, herbal remedies.
Other articles include:
Written with passion, humor, and a caring for detail that makes this book quite special, The Herbfarm Cookbook explains everything from how to recognize the herbs in your supermarket to how to infuse a jar of honey with the flavor of fresh lavender. Recipes include a full range of dishes from soups, salads, eggs, pasta and risotto, vegetables, poultry, fish, meats, breads, and desserts to sauces, ice creams, sorbets, chutneys, vinegars, and candied flowers.
Author: Jerrry Traunfeld
Harness the medicinal, sensual and flavorful power of herbs with both centuries-old and modern methods. Find the secrets to utilizing herbs like mint, rosemary and more within the 504 pages of the Herb E-book Projects Collection.
For the first time, Mother Earth News is proud to offer the complete Herb E-book Projects Collection.
This comprehensive collection includes 14 useful e-handbooks with titles ranging from "Herbal Teas for Lifelong Health" to "Making Your Own Incense". The Herb E-book Projects Collection is packed with practical information, innovative ideas and creative projects to encourage natural health and happiness through herbs.
E-book Projects in the collection:
A honeybee hive produces much more than honey; it also produces pollen, propolis, royal jelly, beeswax, and bee venom. And humans have found uses for all these products. The Benevolent Bee will describe how and why the bees make these products, how they've been used by humans throughout the ages, and how beekeepers harvest the products. It will also present simple do-it yourself recipes for using the products in health and wellness, body care, nutrition, and craft. Beekeeper, herbalist, and artist Stephanie Bruneau explores six amazing products of the honeybee hive--honey, pollen, propolis, royal jelly, beeswax, and bee venom. Learn how to make a salve for burns and a cough syrup from raw honey; how to make a tincture, an infused oil, and a mouthwash from propolis, the anti-bacterial "bee glue" that lines the inside of the hive; and much more.
Author: STEPHANIE BRUNEAU
Format: Other/miscellaneous products
In this accessible guide, best-selling author and renowned herbalist Rosemary Gladstar shows you how to make herbal remedies to strengthen your nervous system and address a wide range of symptoms, including panic attacks, depression, insomnia, anxiety, headaches, migraines, herpes, neuralgia, and more.
Author: Rosemary Gladstar
This fully revised and wonderfully imaginative guide to making the most of your garden produce features 140 recipes that range from fruit and berry wines to beer and honey mead.
Author: Judith Glover
The Gift of Healing Herbs is equal parts inspiration and instruction, drawn from the author’s life and decades spent teaching and practicing herbal medicine in a spiritual, earth-based, nondogmatic style.
Author: Robin Rose Bennett
Discover remedies to help care for everyday health problems, with cures from a wide range of sources. Get time-tested, natural easements for coughs, cold and flu viruses, aches and pains, digestive complaints, sleep disorders, and skin conditions. You’ll even find tips to help babies and address women's health.
Author: Meredith Hale
This book is about plant conservation through cultivation. These plants are becoming rare because their native habitat is shrinking and because they are challenging to grow. Growing "at-risk" medicinal plants depends on conserving or creating the environment that harbors them. Gardeners and conservationists can use this book to help preserve wild places and as solid ground for fostering and protecting our irreplaceable native medicinal plants.
Author: Richo Cech
All over the world, people are turning toward homeopathic and alternative medicines. Essential Oils for Healing is an easy-to-use guide for anyone who wants to learn how to use essential oils to heal a multitude of ills. Ailments are listed in alphabetical order and are accompanied by hundreds of recipes you can re-create at home using the essential oils at your disposal. Tips on safe handling and usage, contraindications, and storage ensure that even the most novice of essential oils user can get the healing benefits from our planet's natural resources. Did you know that a few drops of lavender oil can be added to your children’s shampoo to protect them from head lice? Or that a drop of clove oil mixed with orange oil can relieve a mind-numbing toothache? Common, everyday problems (such as nausea, dry skin, and insect bites) to more serious issues (including migraines and arthritis) are included, along with all-natural remedies that are simple and accessible.
Author: Michele McDaniel & Vannoy Lin