Today's renewed interest in making wine and beer at home amounts to nothing less than a renaissance. No matter why you want to join the new generation of homebrewers -- to complement your cooking, to save money or simply for a truly rewarding hobby -- Strong Waters will tell you how.
In this do-it-yourself guide, Scott Mansfield makes a grand tradition accessible for today's enthusiasts. Beginners will welcome his tips for getting started inexpensively with everyday materials, and experienced hobbyists will be inspired by recipes for longtime favorites and forgotten delights, including:
- Limoncello, the perfect digestif to conclude an Italian dinner
- Perry, apple cider's sweeter cousin, made from pears
- Jalapeño Wine, a healthy drink that doubles as a marinade
- Rhodomel, an ancient Grecian mead flavored with roses and honey
- Spruce Beer, a North American classic since colonial times
Worried that making your own spirits is complicated? Don't be! Strong Waters covers everything from the basics of bottling to the science of sweetening. It's surprisingly easy, and as eight pages of color photos illustrate, the results are tantalizing. Cheers!