Not only are there great articles on growing a successful garden in the Mother Earth News How to Grow and Preserve Your Own Food guide, you’ll also read how to make those delicious fruits and vegetables last throughout the year. Filled with helpful tips, step-by-step instructions, beautiful photographs and more, this guide contains hundreds of great ways to achieve food security for you and your family.
Learn how to grow a great fall garden with broccoli, carrots, spinach and more. Follow the simple instructions on an easy-to-make mini-greenhouse to help you stretch your growing season. Save money and enjoy delicious, homemade foods all winter with food preservation instructions. Read how to master the art of fermentation to make your own cheese, sauerkraut, beer, bread and more. Discover how to keep backyard chickens and bees for the best homegrown eggs and fresh, enjoyable honey.
The guide also includes:
- Top Gardening Challenges and How to Overcome Them: From rogue rabbits and 4-inch-long grasshoppers to clay soil and summer drought, a variety of problems can vex us in our gardens. Veteran organic growers detail how they cope.
- Instant, No-Dig Garden Beds: Create or expand your food garden with this simple, time-saving technique.
- Pick for Peak Flavor: Knowing when to harvest each crop will guarantee the freshest, most flavorful and nutritious produce from your garden.
- Freezing Fruits and Vegetables From Your Garden: Round out your food preservation regimen! Use these great freezing tips to turn your garden harvests into delicious, off-season meals.
- Sweet Cider Roundup: Make your own cider using this advice, which includes instructions for converting a washing machine into an extra-large juicer.