The Mother Earth News Collector Series: Modern Homesteading isn’t just for the person living on a homestead. It’s for the person who wants to be more self-reliant, the gardener who wants to increase their harvest, the cook who wants to expand their recipes, and more. Inside this issue, you’ll read valuable information on raising ducks, bees, and other animals, growing seeds to make your own clothing, constructing a wind generator, installing garden fences, making homegrown olive oil, and more.
All the different aspects of homesteading can seem daunting, but with the expert advice and guidance found cover to cover in this special issue, you’ll be able to take the next step toward a more independent lifestyle.
• Coppicing Trees for Sustainable Firewood – You can grow firewood in a fraction of the time it takes to raise a tree from seed.
• Want Milk? Get Goats – Dairy goats can supply your family with fresh milk inexpensively. The fun is just the bonus.
• Natural Insect Repellents – Don’t get bugged out! Follow these simple DIY recipes to keep pests at bay.
• Start a Quick and Easy Food Garden – This season-by-season planting plan for a no-dig, easy-care bag garden features 25 favorite crops.
• Brew Backyard Root Beer – With a little experimentation, you can learn how to make your own version of this historic, herb-infused soda using foraged ingredients.
• And more!