- Products for Wiser Living
Read all about planning a garden, community reliance, or saving money on groceries. Learn how to raise chickens for meat, maximize space in your garden, or build your own wind generator. Plus, get tips on how to grow vegetables all year long!
Live self-sufficiently with the help of these three premium issues from MOTHER EARTH NEWS! Ditch the store-bought and pre-made life, and live off the land with these guides, each featuring more than 100 pages of content. With this special package, you’ll receive:
MOTHER EARTH NEWS PREMIUM: MODERN HOMESTEADING SPRING 2015
Modern Homesteading features more than 25 articles that cover off-grid living, easy food gardens, solar heating plans, preserving food, and much more.
Read how to start a no-dig, easy-care bag garden that produces 25 favorite food crops. Discover how to make a food self-sufficiency plan by estimating how much to grow or buy, and learn how to achieve food security with the help of our handy charts and guidelines. With this guide’s help, keep bees and produce fresh, delicious honey in your own backyard. Make your own herbal medicine by finding ingredients for many basic herbal remedies.
Other articles include:
• Easy, No-Knead Crusty Bread: Bake crispy, gorgeous loaves from scratch using this simple technique. All you need are a few ingredients and a blazing-hot Dutch oven for miraculous results.
• Five DIY, Low-Cost, and Multipurpose Greenhouses: Use recycled materials to create an affordable garden greenhouse so you can enjoy fresh food all year long!
• Emergency Power Options: With the right generator, you’ll be prepared when storms or blackouts leave you without electricity.
• Backyard Chicken Basics: They’re less work than house pets and more fun than a tire swing. Plus, they provide delicious, nutritious eggs.
• How to Make Yogurt, Kefir, and Cheese: Tap the health benefits of rich, tangy fermented milk products.
MOTHER EARTH NEWS PREMIUM: SELF-RELIANCE AND COUNTRY SKILLS
This MOTHER EARTH NEWS Premium Issue will help you live off your land and save money! Inside, you’ll find the top tools for a half-acre homestead; learn to pressure can meat; source truly high-quality garden seeds; read how to raise sheep; and more.
Learn the most important self-reliance skill ever by mastering six habits to getting the right work done, the right way. Read the best staple crops for building food self-sufficiency, and fill your pantry and boost your food security by growing 10 space-efficient, calorie-rich staple crops that return high yields and store easily sans fossil fuels. Discover the benefits of the American Guinea hog; a perfect size for smaller homesteads, this heritage breed is easy to manage and provides choice meat and lard.
Other articles include:
• Winter’s Glowing Root Vegetables – Brilliant beets and cold-hardy carrots can help light up your winter meals.
• How to Make Compost – Choose from the many easy ways to make compost for increased garden productivity.
• Expert Advice for Greenhouse Growing – Build a greenhouse in your backyard and you’ll be amazed at its many use.
• Raise Sheep: Low-Maintenance Livestock – Requiring less space and capital than cattle, sheep can provide homegrown, pastured meat with terrific flavor and a powerful nutrient profile. Many sheep breeds can also help turn rocky, dry hillsides into productive pasture.
• 5 Delicious Wild Greens – Give up the war on weeds and embrace the fortifying vegetables right outside your door.
MOTHER EARTH NEWS PREMIUM: SELF-SUFFICIENT LIVING
Become more reliant on yourself and your land with the MOTHER EARTH NEWS Premium Issue: Self-Sufficient Living. Learn how to hatch your own flock of chickens, grow food in less space, find your perfect country property, and get your own no-mortgage natural cottage. Get the best tips for keeping livestock, harnessing natural energy from a DIY wind generator, and making your own medicine. Save money and live healthily with all the best tips for living self-reliantly. Feel the true sense of accomplishment with the help of all the tips from Self-Sufficient Living.
Other articles include:
• Care and Cultivation of Permanent Garden Beds – Provide a secure habitat for the dynamic soil food web that sustains your crops by establishing permanent garden bed and paths.
• Grow Your Own Shiitake Mushrooms – Take these steps to fruit your own fungi for money, food, and fun.
• How to Make Your Own Moccasins – Take your tanned animal skins one step further by turning the leather into comfortable, durable footwear.
• Start a Work-from-Home Business – Our readers get down to business, offering advice on how to be your own boss.
• Homestead Helpers: Sheep, Cattle, Pigs, and Poultry – Livestock aren’t just useful for meat and eggs. They can mow lawns, work garden soil, dig stumps, and more!
Starting a garden can be a daunting task for any beginner. What to plant, when to plant, and how to plant can all be questions keeping you from taking the first step. The Mother Earth News Beginner’s Guide to Gardening helps answer all the unknowns.
Mother Earth News Winter Comfort Foods is packed full of comfort food recipes that are wholesome and hearty. Sharing a meal with loved ones is not only a simple pleasure, but also one of the most meaningful. This issue will definitely bring the family closer together. In addition to warm and hearty meals to beat the cold, with this book you can make seasonal soups and stews, bake the best homemade pies, and much more!
Spring, summer, fall, winter! This regional guide is loaded with expert-recommended techniques as well as crop varieties so that you can break through seasonal barriers in your climate and eat from your own garden all year. Plus: • Grow Shiitake Mushrooms • Smoky Barbecued Onions • 5 Delicious Wild Greens • Craft Backyard Apple Cider • Winter Soups from the Cellar • Savory and Satisfying Venison
Make the most of the fall season with the help this guide offers! You will find out how to grow your best fall garden, taking advantage of the cooler temperatures that will make your vegetables taste crisp and sweet. If you protect your vegetables, you can continue harvesting fresh, crisp produce through several fall and winter months! Speaking of cooler temperatures, choose the best wood-burning stove for your home with the expert advice contained in this guide, and find the best firewood types for your needs! Other articles include: • Eight easy projects for instant energy savings – Implement these inexpensive strategies to reduce your carbon footprint and slash your energy bills. • Choose Fermented foods for health and flavor – Humans have used fermentation for centuries to preserve food. Today, we know that fermentation also makes some foods more nutritious. • Outdoor root cellars – Try these five ways to store fresh food for winter right in your garden. • Brew your own beer – Home brewing is kettles of fun, and it’s the perfect way to make your own uniquely flavored, affordable drinks. • Sweet cider roundup – Make delicious cider with this advice on the best apples and how to press them. • Emergency power options – With the right generator, you’ll be prepared when storms or blackouts leave you without electricity.
The Mother Earth NewsWiser Living Series Summer on the Homestead covers everything you need to know to make your summer on the homestead great. This issue will motivate you to embrace the do-it-yourself lifestyle by showing you how to build your own wind generator or create a solar-powered electric fence.
Mother Earth News has released a special double issue, The Best of Mother Earth News Collector Series! This new collector series is 192 pages of expertly written articles covering building and DIY projects, real food and cooking, gardening, homesteading, raising livestock, and natural health. The guide is filled from cover to cover with beautiful color photographs, detailed step-by-step illustrations for building projects, valuable resources, easy-to-follow recipes, and more.
Learn how you can turn that unused grain bin into a perfect house, backyard retreat, storage shed, and more. With the easy-to-follow, step-by-step directions inside this special guide, you can build a fire pit or assemble a clay-pot smoker in just one weekend. If you are a good baker and have the right kitchen setup, look into starting your own food business with the expert advice found here! Discover how vertical gardening techniques can maximum your vegetable returns by producing bigger, better cukes, beans, tomatoes, and cantaloupes. Read how to raise livestock on your homestead; the article inside this guide contains information and advice on housing, feeding, and slaughtering pigs. Ready your yard for spring and summer by discovering which naturally mosquito-repellent plants and homemade mosquito traps will help you have a less buggy summer.
Other articles include:
The more than 100 pages of articles capture exactly what MOTHER EARTH NEWS stands for. Whether you are a new reader to the magazine or a loyal subscriber, you will find helpful, interesting and intriguing articles in this premium edition. It’s perfect for anyone who wants to save money on groceries by growing a bountiful garden and raising livestock, or for those who have chosen to live completely off the grid.
The Winter 2015 edition of The Best of Mother Earth News includes more than 25 articles that cover a range of topics from food and cooking to organic gardening, from beekeeping to renewable energy. With more than 100 pages, this is the ultimate self-sufficient guide for any modern homesteader.