Cut down on your food and energy bills with the Guide to Living on Less and Loving it! from the Mother Earth News Wiser Living Series. Create a sustainable farm by growing your own food and raising your own chickens for meat or eggs. Heat water with the sun, make old-fashioned homemade soap, and raise goats for milk. Live self-reliantly with 65 tips for a DIY lifestyle, and make the best syrup straight from a tree. Save (and possibly earn!) money with tips to cutting your food bills in half, building your own home, and earning a living from a rural setting or from your own home. Get wise and save money with the Guide to Living Less and Loving It!
MOTHER EARTH NEWS is pleased to bring you 100 pages of projects for homestead living in the new Premium Issue: Homestead DIY Projects. It’s packed with more than 33 projects that show you how to build everything from beehives to flatbed trucks, and much more!
Cut down on your food and energy bills with the Living on Less issue from Mother Earth News. Create a sustainable farm by growing your own food and raising your own chickens for meat or eggs. Heat water with the sun, make old-fashioned homemade soap, and raise goats for milk. Live self-reliantly with many tips for a DIY lifestyle, and make the best syrup straight from a tree. Save (and possibly earn!) money with tips to cutting your food bills in half, building your own home, and earning a living from a rural setting or from your own home. Get wise and save money by Living On Less!
Turn your dreams of country living into a reality! The MOTHER EARTH NEWS Guide to Self-Reliance and Country Skills offers more than 100 pages of beneficial articles that will assist anyone wanting to live a more self-sufficient life. Nothing compares to the feeling of enjoying a meal that was raised and grown on your own land … no matter if it’s just the delicious preserves from your garden or the entire feast. This guide also features great articles on the best staple crops for building food self-sufficiency; simple seed starting; and small-space gardening! You can even learn how to brew your own beer! More articles include: • 27 All-Time Best Tips for Living on Less: Mother Earth News readers share their tips for wiser living. • Start a Self-Sufficient, 1-Acre Homestead: Live off the land with these strategies for establishing self-sufficient food production, including advice on crop rotations and raising livestock. • Cast No Aspersions on Cast Iron: Learn how to use old-fashioned cookware to its greatest advantage. • The No-Mortgage Natural Cottage: From treehouses to tiny homes on wheels, a no-mortgage shelter can help you eschew expensive rent and debt. • Want Milk? Get Goats: Dairy goats can supply your family with milk inexpensively. • Make Your Own Herbal Medicine: To find ingredients for many basic herbal remedies, you often need to look no further than your own backyard.
This special premium issue contains 29 articles to help you achieve your self-reliance dreams, and 30+ building plans and how-to tips for your property. The 112-page guidebook features articles about building chicken feeders, restoring old wooden furniture, constructing a cozy built-in bed, making shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, and laundry soap, and more. Full of detailed charts and beautiful photographs, this guidebook will have you fixing up your homestead in no time. Our goal at Mother Earth News is to provide information and inspiration to help you live more simply, more securely, and more sustainably.
Sometimes, it can seem like projects on the homestead never end. From taking care of animals to fixing farm equipment, you never know what might pop up next. But with the projects found in Mother Earth News Premium: Homestead DIY Projects, 4th Edition, you’ll be prepared to handle whatever comes your way … and you’ll even have a little fun with it!
Create a backyard oasis by repurposing wood pallets into furniture; learn how to grow more food by building your own hoop house; feed your animals by making your own hay; and give your land a little spunk by adding a classic homestead outhouse or a unique cob cabin. From the inside of your house to the outside, the projects packed into this special issue will keep your homestead looking good and running smoothly.
Other articles include:
• Do-It-Yourself Porch Swing: Everyone needs a comfy spot to relax and sip some iced tea, and this plan works even if you don’t have a porch.
• Zero-Waste Living: Find more than 20 easy, economical ideas to minimize or eliminate landfill-bound trash in every room of your home.
• Fall Garden Medicine Chest: Harvest and preserve these six multipurpose plants now for maximum wintertime health.
• And more!
Learn how to put extra food to good use, save on energy costs, make your own gas, and more with the Mother Earth News Premium Issue: Living on Less. Whether you’ve been trying to save money for a while or just want to live a simpler lifestyle, this special issue is packed with everything you need to get started on cutting your costs and saving money.
Read all about planning a garden, community reliance, or saving money on groceries. Learn how to raise chickens for meat, maximize space in your garden, or build your own wind generator. Plus, get tips on how to grow vegetables all year long!
Live self-sufficiently with the help of these three premium issues from MOTHER EARTH NEWS! Ditch the store-bought and pre-made life, and live off the land with these guides, each featuring more than 100 pages of content. With this special package, you’ll receive:
MOTHER EARTH NEWS PREMIUM: MODERN HOMESTEADING SPRING 2015
Modern Homesteading features more than 25 articles that cover off-grid living, easy food gardens, solar heating plans, preserving food, and much more.
Read how to start a no-dig, easy-care bag garden that produces 25 favorite food crops. Discover how to make a food self-sufficiency plan by estimating how much to grow or buy, and learn how to achieve food security with the help of our handy charts and guidelines. With this guide’s help, keep bees and produce fresh, delicious honey in your own backyard. Make your own herbal medicine by finding ingredients for many basic herbal remedies.
Other articles include:
• Easy, No-Knead Crusty Bread: Bake crispy, gorgeous loaves from scratch using this simple technique. All you need are a few ingredients and a blazing-hot Dutch oven for miraculous results.
• Five DIY, Low-Cost, and Multipurpose Greenhouses: Use recycled materials to create an affordable garden greenhouse so you can enjoy fresh food all year long!
• Emergency Power Options: With the right generator, you’ll be prepared when storms or blackouts leave you without electricity.
• Backyard Chicken Basics: They’re less work than house pets and more fun than a tire swing. Plus, they provide delicious, nutritious eggs.
• How to Make Yogurt, Kefir, and Cheese: Tap the health benefits of rich, tangy fermented milk products.
MOTHER EARTH NEWS PREMIUM: SELF-RELIANCE AND COUNTRY SKILLS
This MOTHER EARTH NEWS Premium Issue will help you live off your land and save money! Inside, you’ll find the top tools for a half-acre homestead; learn to pressure can meat; source truly high-quality garden seeds; read how to raise sheep; and more.
Learn the most important self-reliance skill ever by mastering six habits to getting the right work done, the right way. Read the best staple crops for building food self-sufficiency, and fill your pantry and boost your food security by growing 10 space-efficient, calorie-rich staple crops that return high yields and store easily sans fossil fuels. Discover the benefits of the American Guinea hog; a perfect size for smaller homesteads, this heritage breed is easy to manage and provides choice meat and lard.
Other articles include:
• Winter’s Glowing Root Vegetables – Brilliant beets and cold-hardy carrots can help light up your winter meals.
• How to Make Compost – Choose from the many easy ways to make compost for increased garden productivity.
• Expert Advice for Greenhouse Growing – Build a greenhouse in your backyard and you’ll be amazed at its many use.
• Raise Sheep: Low-Maintenance Livestock – Requiring less space and capital than cattle, sheep can provide homegrown, pastured meat with terrific flavor and a powerful nutrient profile. Many sheep breeds can also help turn rocky, dry hillsides into productive pasture.
• 5 Delicious Wild Greens – Give up the war on weeds and embrace the fortifying vegetables right outside your door.
MOTHER EARTH NEWS PREMIUM: SELF-SUFFICIENT LIVING
Become more reliant on yourself and your land with the MOTHER EARTH NEWS Premium Issue: Self-Sufficient Living. Learn how to hatch your own flock of chickens, grow food in less space, find your perfect country property, and get your own no-mortgage natural cottage. Get the best tips for keeping livestock, harnessing natural energy from a DIY wind generator, and making your own medicine. Save money and live healthily with all the best tips for living self-reliantly. Feel the true sense of accomplishment with the help of all the tips from Self-Sufficient Living.
Other articles include:
• Care and Cultivation of Permanent Garden Beds – Provide a secure habitat for the dynamic soil food web that sustains your crops by establishing permanent garden bed and paths.
• Grow Your Own Shiitake Mushrooms – Take these steps to fruit your own fungi for money, food, and fun.
• How to Make Your Own Moccasins – Take your tanned animal skins one step further by turning the leather into comfortable, durable footwear.
• Start a Work-from-Home Business – Our readers get down to business, offering advice on how to be your own boss.
• Homestead Helpers: Sheep, Cattle, Pigs, and Poultry – Livestock aren’t just useful for meat and eggs. They can mow lawns, work garden soil, dig stumps, and more!
Want to gain new skills you can use around the homestead? Looking for DIY projects to tackle? Do you want to live more self-sufficiently?
Our Mother Earth News Self-Reliance & Homesteading Set includes over 300 pages of valuable information!
This set includes:
MOTHER EARTH NEWS PREMIUM: HOMESTEAD DIY PROJECTS, 3RD EDITION
Improve your garden by making a self-watering garden hose pot or break out of the norm by building a house through cob construction. Learn how to make a portable chicken mini coop, backyard pond, or restore old wooden furniture. Plus, learn how to cut electricity costs by learning to build a solar oven. Homesteading is hard work, but the projects in this issue will help make it a little easier and fun!
MOTHER EARTH NEWS PREMIUM: SELF-SUFFICIENT LIVING, 4TH EDITION
From this issue, you’ll learn how to supply your homestead with clean, affordable energy using solar and wind, fortify your farm to help it weather any storm by installing adaptable, resilient infrastructure, keep a family cow to save money on dairy products, and more! If you’re just wanting to start with one project or are ready to tackle more, this special issue is full of tips and advice that will help turn your hard work into payoffs.
MOTHER EARTH NEWS PREMIUM: LIVING ON LESS, 9TH EDITION
Create a sustainable farm by growing your own food and raising your own chickens for meat or eggs. Heat water with the sun, make old-fashioned homemade soap, and raise goats for milk. Live self-reliantly with many tips for a DIY lifestyle, and make the best syrup straight from a tree. Save (and possibly earn!) money with tips to cutting your food bills in half, building your own home, and earning a living from a rural setting or from your own home. Get wise and save money by Living On Less!
The Mother Earth News Self-Sufficiency Set includes over 500 pages of crucial information to help you live self-sufficiently!
With this exclusive set you receive:
• The Best of Mother Earth News Collector Series: Modern Homesteading
• The Best of Mother Earth News Collector Series: Modern Homesteading, 2nd Edition
• The Best of Mother Earth News Collector Series, 2nd Edition
The Mother Earth NewsWiser Living Series Summer on the Homestead covers everything you need to know to make your summer on the homestead great. This issue will motivate you to embrace the do-it-yourself lifestyle by showing you how to build your own wind generator or create a solar-powered electric fence.