Creamy Cheesy Broccoli Soup
Cheesy broccoli soup is a comforting soup that is so delicious; it is a combination of cheese and veggies that cook up quickly for a tasty meal. It is the broccoli cheese soup you will want to make again and again. It has it all, with thick creamy cheese infused with chunks of broccoli and carrots. It makes the perfect family meal addition; serve this tasty soup for dinner, and it will make any chilly evening feel cozy. My family loves this soup — it is a crowd pleaser, great for a brunch or a quick meal. My secret is that it tastes as if I went to a lot of work to make it, but oh how untrue — I can whip up this wonderful soup in 45 minutes or less.
- 2 cups raw broccoli cut up into one-inch pieces or frozen
- 1 stalk celery chopped fine
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar — Sharp cheese will add the best flavor.
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley or 1 teaspoon dried
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup carrots cut into small 1/2-inch cubes ( or use frozen diced carrots)
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- Dash of salt and pepper to taste
- Add chicken broth, carrots, and celery to pan, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add broccoli and cook 3 minutes until fork tender. Reduce heat to low.
- Mix flour into cold milk using a fork or wire whisk, blending until smooth with no clumps.
- Pour flour and milk combination into broccoli veggie mixture, heat up slowly until it thickens, being careful not to boil milk, as it will scald. (It would taste fine, but the texture would not be as smooth or as pretty looking.)
- Cook on low heat for about 5 minutes or until soup thickens, then stir in cheese and 1 tablespoon parsley, save the rest for garnish. Cook an additional 3 minutes on low heat. Top with parsley, crackers, and serve.
Hint: You can substitute the broccoli with cauliflower and make cheesy cauliflower soup, both are equally delightful.