Delicious Chicken and Wild Rice made with pork sausage is a simple savory meal.
• 4 cups water
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1-1/2 cups long-grain and wild rice mix, rinsed
• 1 pound pork sausage
• 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced, optional
• 1 can (4 ounces) whole mushrooms, undrained
• 2 cans (10 ounces each) cream of mushroom soup
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1-1/2 cups cooked, diced turkey or chicken
• 1-1/2 cups course breadcrumbs
• 4 tablespoons butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Generously grease 8-by-12-inch baking dish; set aside.
2. In large saucepan, bring water and salt to boiling. Add rice, and return boiling, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, or until rice is tender and water is absorbed. Drain any remaining liquid. Set rice aside.
3. In heavy skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until browned, stirring and breaking into bits. Drain fat.
4. In small saucepan, boil carrots in salted water until tender but firm. Cool slightly, then cut into 1/4-inch slices.
5. Stir mushrooms with liquid, soup, carrots and Worcestershire sauce into sausage, and mix well. Add to rice, and stir lightly to combine.
6. Spoon half the rice mixture into prepared baking dish. Arrange turkey on top, and cover with remaining rice mixture.
7. Combine breadcrumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle evenly over casserole.
8. Bake for 30 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are golden brown. Cool slightly before serving.
Try more quick weeknight dinners with Easy Casserole Recipes.