Wild Boar Asian Vegetable Stir-Fry Recipe
By Kristi Cook
Photo by Kristi Cook
No ethnic food is out of reach with properly prepared wild hog. Asian cuisines, Italian dishes, and even Mexican fare all benefit from the addition of this tasty meat. Just cook slowly when dealing with large cuts, and cook hot and fast with smaller cuts.
Yields about 4 servings.
- 3-1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1-1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar, divided
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 pound wild boar steak, tenderloin, or chops, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked short-grain brown rice
- 3 cups sodium-free vegetable broth
- 2 to 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 20 ounces frozen Asian stir-fry vegetables, or vegetables of your choice
- In a large zip-close bag or a shallow glass dish, combine 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon vinegar, and 1 tablespoon sesame oil. Add the meat. Zip the bag or cover the dish, and marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature, or up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Combine rice, 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce, and broth in either a rice cooker, a saucepan (for cooking on the stovetop), or a glass dish (for cooking in the microwave). Cook until rice is tender and easily fluffed with a fork. Set aside.
- Coat the bottom of a skillet with 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil, and heat over medium-high heat. Add meat (discard the marinade), and cook, stirring often, until evenly browned and an internal temperature of 145 F is reached. Remove meat from skillet and set aside.
- Add enough of the remaining olive oil to the skillet to coat the bottom, and heat until hot over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and remaining soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil. Cook, stirring constantly, until vegetables reach desired tenderness. Add meat, and cook until heated through.
- Serve meat and vegetables over hot rice on individual plates.
For additional recipes and information, see Cooking with Wild Hog.
Kristi Cook and her family have been building their homestead for many years. Kristi shares their vast experiences through her articles, workshops, and her blog.
Butterscotch Pie Recipe with a Lard Crust
Use lard to make the perfect pie crust for a sweet butterscotch meringue pie.
Mulberry Muffins Recipe
Try these delicious and easy-to-make mulberry muffins, whether for breakfast or a snack.
Mulberry Scones Recipe
Make these easy and flavorful scones bursting with mulberries.