Made-from-Scratch Dinner Roll Recipe
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2-1/4 teaspoons yeast
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (2-1/2 cups if using spelt)
- 1-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pour warm water over yeast in a large bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes or until foamy. Add milk, egg, butter, and honey. Stir in salt and flour. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes. If not using a stand mixer with the kneading attachment, place a little bit of olive oil on your kneading surface. Adding too much flour when using whole wheat results in a dense product.
- After kneading, place dough in an oiled bowl, cover, and let rise for an hour.
- Punch dough down and form into rolls. Place rolls in a large cast-iron skillet. When rolls are touching, it forces them to rise up instead of out. Place the rolls in your oven with the light on and allow to rise about 45 minutes, or until doubled.
- Remove skillet from oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. As soon as rolls come out of the oven, brush them with a stick of butter.
Taken from: The Made-from-Scratch Life: Simple Ways to Create a Natural Home. Copyright © 2016 by Melissa K. Norris. Published by Harvest House Publishers, Eugene, Oregon. Used by Permission.
Melissa K. Norris believes that the simple things in life are truly the best and that everything just looks better in a Mason jar. Her mission is to inspire people’s faith and pioneer roots. Through her popular blog and podcast, Pioneering Today, she reaches hundreds of thousands of people, inspiring them to live their dreams, while sharing easy tips and ways to live frugal, grow it yourself, and make it at home pioneer style. Her advice has been featured in The New Pioneer Magazine, Self-Sufficiency Magazine, and Molly Green Magazine. Melissa lives with her husband and two children in their own little house in the big woods in the foothills of the North Cascade Mountains. Visit her web site and follow her on Twitter for simple living tips and more.
The Made-from-Scratch Life: Simple Ways to Create a Natural Home (Harvest House Publishers, 2016), by Melissa K. Norris, inspires us to get back to our roots and back to the basics in the kitchen, in our home, and in our lives. Norris provides a collection of made-from-scratch recipes and life tips to help the modern reader appreciate the simple. Here, enjoy a classic dinnertime favorite — the dinner roll — with this made-from-scratch recipe.