A hearty chili kicked up with some heat. The venison makes for a lean and healthy base with the heat of the spices balanced out using celery, red onion and sour cream. A favorite in my home through winter with the recipe doubled for deer camp!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 to 3 pounds ground venison (more for thicker chili)
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) can diced tomatoes with jalapeno
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili beans, drained
- 1 cam (15 ounces) light kidney beans, drained
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 large celery stalks, sliced
- 16 ounces sour cream (use half in recipe and set aside remainder)
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce or Tabasco
- 4 tablespoons chili powder (adjust for taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice (substitute water for a thinner consistency)
- Shredded cheese, diced red onion and remaining sour cream as optional topping.
Saute’ onions and peppers and celery in Dutch oven with oil until soft.
Brown ground venison with onion and bell peppers.
Stir in remaining ingredients.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer. Cook for a minimum of 1 hour; stirring occasionally.
Serve with optional toppings.