Turmeric Switchel Recipe
By Emily Han
Try this refreshing spin on the classic switchel recipe. Add turmeric for a beautiful boost of color and flavor!
- 1 tablespoon honey, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh turmeric, or 1⁄3 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- Tiny pinch of freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- 1 cup water
- Combine the honey, vinegar, lime juice, turmeric, ginger, and black pepper in a jar or glass, and stir to dissolve the honey. Add the water and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, and up to a day. The longer the drink steeps, the stronger the turmeric and ginger flavors will be.
- Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer and discard the solids. Taste and sweeten with additional honey if desired. Serve over ice.
The turmeric imparts a bright yellow hue to this drink. Be careful when working with fresh turmeric, because it can stain clothes and porous kitchen surfaces and tools. This recipe is reprinted with permission from Wild Drinks and Cocktails: Handcrafted Squashes, Shrubs, Switchels, Tonics, and Infusions to Mix at Home by Emily Han (Fair Winds Press, 2015.)