The Mix-and-Match Meal Planner (Harvest House Publishers, 2016), by Mix and Match Mama blogger Shay Shull, is for people who need some inspiration as to what to make for dinner. Shull helps answer that question with a collection of meal planner recipes. This recipe for a slow cooker brown sugar brisket is a simple yet delicious addition to your dinner table.
If you're interested in planning and adding more recipes to your dinner table, you can check out more Mix-and-Match Meal Planner recipes here:
• 1-3-to-5-pound flat-trimmed brisket
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
• 1 onion, chopped
• 4 cups apple juice (or 2 cups apple juice and 2 cups water)
• salt and pepper
• extra virgin olive oil
1. Season brisket with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown each side of your brisket, about 4 minutes per side. While it’s browning, combine the brown sugar and mustard together in a small bowl; set aside.
2. Place browned brisket in the slow cooker. Rub brown sugar mixture all over the brisket. Add in chopped onion and pour apple juice on top. Cover and cook on high about 8 hours.
3. When you’re ready to eat, open the lid and remove the brisket from the liquid (discard the liquid) to a cutting board. Shred the brisket and serve.
Taken from: Mix-and-Match Meal Planner: Your Weekly Guide to Getting Dinner on the Table (Mix-And-Match Mama). Copyright © 2016 by Shay Shull. Published by Harvest House Publishers, Eugene, Oregon. Used by Permission.
About Shay Shull: Shay Shull is a wife, mom, author and entrepreneur. On her Mix and Match Mama blog, she writes about motherhood, adoption, world travel, and, of course, yummy food.
Shay and her husband struggled with infertility, but they received the miracle of birth with two children, and the joy of adopting two children. She and her husband and their four children live near Dallas, Texas.
Shay’s brother Sean Lowe was the star of The Bachelor (2013). Shay is the author of four books including Mix & Match Meal Planner, Mix & Match Cakes, Mix & Match Mama Eats, and Mix & Match Mama Kids in The Kitchen. She has been featured on national television shows including Hallmark’s Home & Family and The Today Show.