In Canning Cents (Front Table Books, 2015), Stephanie Petersen shares dozens of delicious canning recipes, from jams and conserves to pickles and relishes, and even meats and soup bases. Simple instructions and friendly asides at the beginning of every recipe make this a go-to guide for canning foods with remarkable flavor and gourmet flair! The following Sweet Gherkin Recipe is from chapter 4, “Pickled Foods.”
You can purchase this book from the GRIT store: Canning Cents.
Sweet pickles are not something I crave very often, unless they’re tiny little nibbles like a baby gherkin. What is it about the baby size that makes them so adorable? I’m not sure, but that size makes them perfect for pickling! Look for the baby ones at special farmer’s markets or grow your own.
• 6 cups mini gherkin cucumbers
• 1/4 cup salt
• 2 cups sugar
• 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
• 1/2 tsp. curry powder
• 1/4 tsp. ground clove
• 1 Tbsp. mustard seed
• 1 tsp. celery seed
• 2 cups cider vinegar (5% acid)
• Ball ® Pickle Crisp (optional)
1. Place cucumbers in a large bowl with salt. Cover with water and some ice. Leave out at room temperature for 6 hours.
2. In a large pot, combine the sugar, garlic, curry, cloves, mustard seed, celery seed, and vinegar. Bring slowly to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.
3. Drain the cucumbers in a colander and rinse them well with cold water.
4. Add them to the hot syrup and heat just below boiling.
5. Spoon into hot sterilized jars and fill with the cooking syrup and the Pickle Crisp (as directed on package), leaving 1/4-inch headspace.
6. Run a non-metal knife along the edge of the jar to remove excess air.
7. Seal with hot lids. Tighten canning lid. Place in boiling water-bath canner and wait for water to return to a boil. Process 10 minutes.
8. When time is finished, remove and place on a clean kitchen towel in a place free from drafts. Allow to cool 12 hours undisturbed.
More recipes from Canning Cents:
Stephanie Petersen, Canning Cents: The Money-Saving Whole-Foods Canning Handbook (Springville, Utah: Front Table Books, © 2015), 100-101. Used by permission of Cedar Fort, Inc. Buy this book from our store: Canning Cents.