- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup coconut oil or cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus additional for garnish
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup fresh (or frozen and slightly thawed) Maine wild blueberries, or locally available variety
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease cast-iron muffin tin.
- In large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine vanilla yogurt and baking soda; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat egg. Add oil, sugar, and vanilla, stir to combine. Alternate adding flour and yogurt mixtures to egg mixture, stirring until just blended. Carefully fold in blueberries.
- Pour batter into muffin pan and sprinkle additional sugar atop each muffin. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until muffins are golden brown. Remove and cool. Related: Check out these other great recipes to cook in your cast iron.
A sprinkle of sugar atop these muffins finishes them off with an extra bit of sweetness, and you can easily substitute the Maine wild blueberries for whichever variety is local to your area.