Instant One-Pot Meals: Southern Recipes for the Modern 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker (The Countryman Press, 2018), by Laura Arnold provides easy recipes using a 7-in-1 electric pressure cooker. Whether it’s Texas-Style Chili or Brown Sugar BBQ Ribs, you can whip up a southern meal fast no matter how busy your schedule! The following recipe is from Chapter 2, “Main Courses.”
Looking for that crazy tender and juicy roast chicken recipe? The pressure cooker makes a chicken that is perfectly moist and not overcooked. Crisp the skin in the oven before serving for the ultimate roast chicken.
• 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
• 1 tablespoon cumin
• 1 tablespoon garlic powder
• 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
• 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 (3- to 4-pound) chicken, wishbone removed
• 1/2 cup chicken stock
• 1/2 cup lager-style beer
1. Combine the smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, brown sugar, and cayenne in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Season the chicken with remaining salt and pepper and tie the legs together with kitchen twine. Sear the chicken on all sides until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
3. Place the steam rack inside of the pressure cooker. Add the chicken stock and beer. Rub the chicken with the spice rub and place in the pressure cooker on top of the steam rack. Secure the lid and set on Manual with high pressure for 18 minutes. Allow to naturally release for 5 minutes, then quick release and remove the lid.
4. Preheat the broiler. Transfer the chicken to a baking sheet lined with foil. Crisp the skin under the broiler, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve with hot sauce.
More from Instant One-Pot Meals:
Recipe reprinted with permission from Instant One-Pot Meals, by Laura Arnold and published by The Countryman’s Press, © 2018.