This apple pie recipe is even richer than ordinary apple pie, with a cream and egg sauce added to the filling halfway through baking.
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 6 cups pared, chopped apples (about 6 medium apples)
• 1 9-inch deep-dish pie crust, unbaked
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 cup heavy whipping cream
• 4 egg yolks
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. In large bowl, whisk together sugar, flour and cinnamon. Add apples, and toss gently to coat. Spoon into pie crust, mounding to center. Dot with butter.
3. Bake for 30 minutes, or until crust begins to brown and apples are tender. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 325 F.
4. In small bowl, beat whipping cream and egg yolks. Pour over apple filling, pressing lightly with fork so mixture seeps into filling.
5. Return to oven, and bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until crust is golden and filling is hot and bubbly.
6. Cool to room temperature before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.