Honey-Lemon Scone Recipe
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh lemon verbena leaves
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Rake out thin layer of hot coals. Place 12-inch Dutch oven or cast-iron skillet with lid on top, and cover lid with layer of coals. Allow to heat while assembling ingredients.
- In large bowl, mix together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt; whisk to blend. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans and lemon verbena leaves.
- In small bowl, whisk together egg, honey, yogurt, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Make well in center of flour mixture. Pour honey mixture into well, and mix to form soft dough.
- Remove lid from oven or skillet. Coat cooking vessel with nonstick cooking spray or oil. With floured hands, carefully pat dough into oven or skillet. Score top into 8 pie-shaped wedges. Replace lid and add more coals if needed.
- Bake for 15 minutes, checking occasionally, or until scones are lightly browned. Remove scones with tongs, and set aside to cool slightly. Serve warm with additional honey drizzled over the top if desired. Find more summer recipes for Easy Outdoor Cooking.
Scones aren’t just for ovens! You can make them in a Dutch oven with this recipe.