If you're looking for an out of the ordinary cookie for your upcoming festivities, a plate of these rye flour sugar cookies is sure to hit the spot.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2-3/4 cups rye flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla, and mix well.
- In a separate large bowl, stir together the baking powder and rye flour. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, and mix until combined.
- Roll into 1-inch balls and place them on a baking sheet, or roll out the mixture and cut out shapes with a cookie cutter.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes, or until the edges start to brown. Allow the cookies to cool before removing them from the baking sheet.
Note: The cookies will appear darker than normal sugar cookies because the flour is darker. You can substitute raw sugar for granulated, but it may make the cookies even darker.