Roasted Poblano-Chorizo Mac and Cheese Recipe
3 hrs 20 min
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 4 cups shredded Cheddar
- 2 (12-ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces chorizo sausage, fully cooked
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 Maria cookies or saltine crackers, broken into pieces
- Preheat the broiler and place the poblano on a baking sheet.
- Broil the poblano for 4 to 6 minutes on each side, or until it is charred on all sides. Remove from the oven, cover with a dish towel, and set aside to steam for about 5 minutes.
- Remove and discard the poblano's charred skin, stems, and seeds and dice the pepper. Set aside.
- Combine the diced poblano, macaroni, cheese, evaporated milk, whole milk, salt, and garlic powder in the slow cooker and stir until well combined. Cover and cook on low for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
- After 2-1/2 hours, check the macaroni for doneness, as slow cookers' temperatures can vary. If the macaroni is still soupy, continue cooking for an additional 30 minutes. When the macaroni is done, all of the liquid should be absorbed.
- Carefully remove the liner from the slow cooker to stop the cooking process. Stir the chorizo into the mixture.
- Combine the cilantro and broken cookies in a small bowl and scatter it on the top of the mixture. Serve warm.
More from The Tex-Mex Slow Cooker:The Tex-Mex Slow Cooker, by Vianney Rodriguez. Published by The Countryman Press, © 2018.
In The Tex-Mex Slow Cooker: 100 Delicious Recipes for Easy Everyday Meals, Vianney Rodriguez share her tips and tricks to serving out Tex-Mex classics. The book provides 100 Tex-Mex favorites that can easily be made in your slow-cooker. The following excerpt is from Chapter 3, “Salsas and Sides.”
This mac-and-cheese recipe is for the grown-ups. Studded with roasted poblanos, chorizo, and plenty of cheese, this recipe is sure to satisfy all your Tex-Mex cravings. The topping, made with a mix of Maria cookies and cilantro, adds a touch of sweetness to this side dish. I could eat the entire batch myself.