- 4 tablespoons lard and/or cracklings
- 4 cups cooked pinto beans, plus reserved cooking liquid
- Salt, to taste
- In a large skillet, melt lard over medium heat.
- Add beans and stir until they just start to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Mash beans, and season with salt.
More from Home-Rendered Recipes:• Breakfast Skillet Recipe • World’s Best Kale Recipe • Pork Chops with Apples Recipe • Tenderloin Stir-Fry Recipe • Home-Rendered Recipes
I grew up in Texas, three hours from the Mexican border, so Mexican food is my comfort food. When I was a vegetarian in the 1990s, I missed the taste of real refried beans, but I wasn’t willing to use commercial lard to achieve that flavor — one reason I may always have to raise pigs.