I grew up in Texas, three hours from the Mexican border, so Mexican food is my comfort food. When I was a vegetarian in the 1990s, I missed the taste of real refried beans, but I wasn’t willing to use commercial lard to achieve that flavor — one reason I may always have to raise pigs.
- 4 tablespoons lard and/or cracklings
- 4 cups cooked pinto beans, plus reserved cooking liquid
- Salt, to taste
- In a large skillet, melt lard over medium heat.
- Add beans and stir until they just start to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Mash beans, and season with salt.
Note: You can combine lard and cracklings in whatever ratio you prefer. I usually do half and half, but you could use all of one or the other. If the beans get too dry in the skillet, add a little of the cooking liquid from the beans.
More from Home-Rendered Recipes:• Breakfast Skillet Recipe
• World’s Best Kale Recipe
• Pork Chops with Apples Recipe
• Tenderloin Stir-Fry Recipe
• Home-Rendered Recipes