two 9-inch quiches SERVINGS
For the crust:
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup shortening or lard
- Ice water
For the filling:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups broccoli, cooked and drained
- 2 cups grated Swiss cheese
- 1 pound bacon, diced and cooked crisp
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For the crust: Place flour in bowl. Cut in shortening with fork until mixture resembles crumbs. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture just holds together. Do not knead.
- Divide dough in half. On lightly floured surface, roll out each half into circle slightly larger than 9 inches. Carefully place each pie crust in 9-inch pie pan.
- Crimp edges of pastry, and prick bottom and sides of crust with fork. Set crusts aside. For the filling:
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter. Add and sauté onion until soft and translucent. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In mixing bowl, combine onion, broccoli, cheese, and bacon. Set aside.
- In separate bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, salt, and pepper. Pour over onion mixture, and mix until combined.
- Divide mixture evenly between unbaked pie crusts. Bake for 45 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
FOR MORE, SEE EASTER BRUNCH RECIPES