- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
Pumpkin Coconut Custard:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) coconut milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée (or any winter squash purée – butternut, Hubbard, sweet meat, etc.)
- 1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- Chocolate Snickerdoodles: Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease baking sheets, or line with parchment paper; set aside.
- In pie plate, combine 1/4 cup sugar with cinnamon; set aside.
- In medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and cream of tartar; set aside.
- In large bowl, cream together butter and remaining sugar until light. Beat in egg. Add sifted dry ingredients and mix until dough forms.
- Roll dough into walnut-sized balls between palms. Roll balls in cinnamon-sugar mixture, coating evenly. Place balls on prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until edges of cookies just begin to brown. Remove from oven and cool completely on wire racks.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease 10-inch tart pan; set aside.
- Pulverize cooled Chocolate Snickerdoodles in food processor, or place in plastic bag and crush with rolling pin. Into small bowl, measure 1-2/3 cups cookie crumbs; add 2 tablespoons melted butter and mix until combined and cookie crumbs are thoroughly moistened.
- Press crumb mixture onto bottom and up sides of prepared pan. Bake for 9 to 10 minutes, or until set. Cool on wire rack. Pumpkin Coconut Custard:
- In saucepan, combine sugar, flour, eggs, coconut milk and pumpkin purée. Whisk until smooth.
- Bring to simmer over medium-low heat; cook, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens. Stir in coconut and remove from heat.
- Pour filling into baked tart shell, and refrigerate until cool and set. Serve chilled. Cover and refrigerate leftovers.
Need more chocolate? Check out Chocolate Dessert Recipes for All Tastes.
Kathie N. Lapcevic is a writer and teacher who specializes in garden, food and recipe creation. She blogs at Homespun Seasonal Living and, when not working, can be found playing in the great outdoors of northwest Montana.
Pumpkin Coconut Custard Tart With Chocolate Snickerdoodle Crust
The making of chocolate snickerdoodles for the crust means this tart takes a bit more time and planning. If you don’t have the time, simply use crushed chocolate graham crackers or some other kind of chocolate wafer cookie.