Per our request for other recipes using pears, Leslie Holly, Vestal, New York, sends this bread recipe, which sounds delicious.
• 1/2 cup butter
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 eggs
• 2 cups flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
• 1/4 cup yogurt or buttermilk*
• 1 cup coarsely chopped pears
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter bread pan.
2. In large bowl, cream butter, and gradually beat in sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. In another bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add to egg mixture, alternating with yogurt. Stir in pears and vanilla.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until bread tests done with toothpick.
*If desired, in place of yogurt or buttermilk, you can use 1/4 cup whole milk, in which 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar has been added and allowed to sit for 1/2 hour.