Back in the 1950s, my family lived in St. Petersburg, Florida,” writes Judy Stevens, New Boston, Texas. “Every Saturday the family would go downtown and shop at the Webb City store. The boys would get haircuts, Dad would gas up the family car, and we’d grocery shop. They carried an orange pancake syrup recipe that was my absolute favorite on any pancakes, waffles, etc. Does anyone know the company that produced the syrup or a recipe for that syrup?”
While no one recalls the company that produced the syrup, several readers did send recipes. Allan Inman, Salem, Oregon, sends this version.
Orange Pancake Syrup Recipe
• 3/4 cup apple juice concentrate
• 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
• 2 teaspoons cornstarch
• 1/4 cup orange juice
• 1/4 cup corn oil margarine
• 1 orange, peeled and divided into sections
1. In saucepan, combine apple juice concentrate, orange peel and cornstarch. Gradually add orange juice, stirring constantly. Add margarine and bring to a rapid boil.
2. Cook syrup until thickened and clear, stirring constantly. Remove saucepan from heat and stir in orange sections.
3. Serve warm or cool over pancakes or waffles.
More from Recipe Box:
Recipe Box: Lemon Meringue Pie and More
Associate Editor Jean Teller hopes to one day replicate those delicious lemon meringue pies her mom used to create.