Mulberry Clafoutis Recipe
Make this delicious French dessert with a layer of breading, a custard-like tier, and fruit.
- 1⁄2 stick butter
- 3 cups mulberries
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Flavoring, optional: 1 tablespoon rum, or 1⁄2 teaspoon each vanilla and almond extract
- Powdered sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8-inch glass pan with butter. Spread berries in greased baking pan.
- Melt remaining butter, then cool.
- In a food processor or blender, combine flour, sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Process to mix.
- Add eggs, milk, butter, and flavoring to dry ingredients, and process until well-mixed. In a blender, the mixture will be thin and frothy.
- Pour mixed batter over berries. Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature to serve. Just before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
A clafoutis is a French dessert. The finished product has a layer of breading, a custard-like tier, and fruit that has risen to the top. Clafoutis also makes a nice breakfast dish.