In The Perfect Diabetes Comfort Food Collection: 9 Essential Recipes You Need To Create 90 Amazing Complete Meals, Robyn Webb shows readers how to transform go-to dishes into diabetes-friendly meals. Webb provides nearly 100 nutritionally balanced recipes, which includes Baked Ziti, Shrimp Stir Fry, Classic Beef Stew, and more! The book also includes a meal-planning section and step-by-step plans to master every dish included in each chapter. The following excerpt is from Chapter 8, "Stir Fry."
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch x 1-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon lite soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch or arrowroot
- 3/4 cup low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon lite soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili purée with garlic
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or peanut oil, divided use
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon peeled, grated ginger
- 1 medium red pepper, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup low-sodium, fat-free broth
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the chicken with the soy sauce, rice vinegar, and cornstarch. Set aside to marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.
- Heat half the vegetable oil in a large wok over high heat. When hot, turn the heat to medium high and add the chicken. Stir fry for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. (You do not need to continuously stir the chicken as you want the chicken to develop a crust and sear.) Remove the chicken from the wok to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the wok. Add in the garlic and ginger and stir fry for 30 seconds. Add the red pepper, celery, and broccoli and stir fry for 30 seconds. Add the broth, cover, and steam 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken and stir fry for 1 minute. Add in the sauce and cook for 1 minute, coating the chicken and vegetables with the sauce. Serve immediately.
- Calories: 180
- Calories from fat: 45
- Total fat: 5.0 g
- Saturated fat: 1.1 g
- Trans fat: 0.0 g
- Cholesterol: 55 mg
- Sodium: 390 mg
- Potassium: 400 mg
- Total carbohydrate: 10 g
- Dietary fiber: 2 g
- Sugars: 4 g
- Protein: 21 g
- Phosphorus: 185 mg
- Exchanges/Choices: 1/2 Carbohydrate; 1 Non-starchy Vegetable; 3 Protein, lean
More from The Perfect Diabetes Comfort Food Collection:
- Chickpea Patties with Mango Chutney Recipe
- No-Noodle Spinach Lasagna Recipe
- Veal and Lamb Meatloaf Recipe
Excerpted with permission from The Perfect Diabetes Comfort Food Collection, by Robyn Webb. Published by the American Diabetes Association, © 2016.