Perfect for a snack or as a complement to tea or coffee, these Lemon-Poppy Seed Muffins are quick to bake, too.
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 to 3 teaspoons grated lemon zest
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 1/4 cup milk
• 1/2 cup butter, melted
• 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
• Powdered sugar, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease or line muffin pan with 12 paper liners. Set aside.
2. In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In large bowl, beat eggs lightly with whisk. Add sugar, lemon zest and juice, milk and butter. Whisk until well-combined. Add flour mixture, and mix until well-combined. Using wooden spoon, stir in poppy seeds. Batter will be thick.
4. Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin pan. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
5. Let muffins cool for a few minutes in pan, then run butter knife around edges and remove from pan. Cool completely, then dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
Looking for more hearty breakfast ideas? Check out these Country Breakfast Foods.