Add bananas to ordinary lemon meringue pie for a creative new take on the citrusy treat.
• Favorite pastry recipe for 9-inch pie
• 2 tablespoons cornstarch
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup cold water
• 1 cup plus 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
• 1/2 cup orange juice
• 2 eggs, divided
• 2 ripe bananas, divided
• 1/4 cup lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 500 F. Line 9-inch pie plate with pastry dough and flute edge all around. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove and cool. Reduce oven temperature to 300 F.
2. In top of double boiler, place cornstarch, salt, cold water, 1 cup sugar and orange juice; cook for 20 minutes.
3. Beat egg yolks. Slowly add to cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly. Cook until thick.
4. Slice 1 banana into thin slices.
5. Cool filling mixture; add lemon juice and banana slices. Blend well. Pour into pastry shell, then slice remaining banana over top.
6. Cover all with meringue made from stiffly beaten egg whites and remaining sugar. Bake for 15 minutes to set and brown meringue. Serve cold.