50 min DURATION
30 min COOK TIME
20 min PREP TIME
2 loaves SERVINGS
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cold
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly grease two 8-inch pie or cake pans; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, caraway seeds, baking soda and sugar. Using pastry blender, cut in cold butter. Stir in raisins.
- Make well in center of dry ingredients. Add egg and buttermilk, and stir until dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured board, and knead for 3 to 5 minutes, or until smooth. Divide dough half, and pat each half into circle. Place dough in prepared pans. Using knife, cut crisscross in top of each loaf.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until loaves sound hollow when tapped.
- Remove from pans to cooling rack, and brush tops with melted butter. Cover with towel until cool. Cut in wedges, and serve with additional butter and jam. Find more Irish Recipes for your Saint Patrick's Day Celebration.