- 1 lamb or beef shoulder (about 3 pounds)
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1 cup sliced turnips
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 4 medium potatoes, quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, optional
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Wipe lamb with clean, damp cloth. Cut into 1-1⁄2-inch pieces, and place in large stockpot. Add boiling water and onions. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add turnips, carrots and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, and add rosemary, if desired. Cover and continue simmering for another 40 minutes, or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Transfer meat and vegetables to serving platter, and keep warm.
- To make gravy, combine flour and cold water in small bowl, and whisk until smooth. Stir into juices in stockpot, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until gravy reaches desired consistency.
- Ladle gravy over meat and vegetables before serving. Garnish with sprinkling of chopped fresh parsley, if desired. Find more Irish Recipes for your Saint Patrick's Day Celebration.
For added flavor, substitute chicken, veal or beef stock for the water.