Enjoy winter squash in all of your favorite recipes by learning how to select the best vegetables and prepare them for friends and family. These squash are healthy and loaded with nutrients and have a more dense texture than summer squash making them ideal for soups, stews and other recipes perfect for the colder months.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 stick unsalted butter, frozen
- 1/3 cup ice-cold water
- 2 pounds Hubbard squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed herbs, such as parsley, thyme, and rosemary
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
To make pastry:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and pepper.
- Using a cheese grater, shred the frozen butter into the bowl, and toss with the dry ingredients.
- Gently stir in ice-cold water until the mixture is evenly moistened.
- Turn the mixture out onto a floured work surface, and knead gently just until the dough comes together.
- Pat dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
To make filling:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, toss the squash and onion with the olive oil, garlic, and herbs.
- Spread the mixture onto a large, rimmed baking sheet.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, as desired.
- Roast for about 20 minutes, or until the squash is tender but not mushy.
- Remove and set aside to cool.
- Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
To assemble galette:
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out to a 14-inch circle.
- Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spread the sour cream over the dough, leaving a 1- to 1-1/2-inch border.
- Top with 1/4 cup cheese.
- Arrange squash-onion mixture over the top, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Fold the pastry edges up and over the filling, creating a 1- to 1-1/2-inch border.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the crust is nicely browned.
- Cool slightly before slicing and serving.