‘Best Ever’ Honey Barbecue Drumsticks Recipe
These savory drumsticks will quickly become a regular choice in your recipe lineup.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 10 raw chicken drumsticks with skin on
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cooking oil, plus more if needed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) honey barbecue sauce, or 1 jar homemade sauce
- In a 1-gallon zip-close bag, combine flour and 5 drumsticks. Shake bag thoroughly to coat chicken. Once fully covered, remove drumsticks one at a time, shaking off excess flour, and set them aside on a large plate. Repeat with remaining drumsticks.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. (As you cook, you may need to add additional oil to the pan; you want just enough to brown the chicken and not burn in the pan.) Add drumsticks one at a time, and cook for about 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes until the chicken is golden-brown on all sides.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper, or use a nonstick pan.
- Place browned drumsticks on cookie sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Pour barbecue sauce over drumsticks, and use a pastry brush to coat them on all sides. Bake for 35 minutes, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 F.
These savory drumsticks will quickly become a regular choice in your recipe lineup. Smother them in your favorite store-bought barbecue sauce, or pull out your best homemade concoction; either way, they’ll be finger-lickin’ good.
Check out more delicious chicken recipes here!
Valerie Boese is a fourth-generation chicken keeper, and the owner of TarBox Hollow Poultry in Nebraska.