Made-from-Scratch Cornbread Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (may substitute 2 cups freshly ground spelt flour)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or lard
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 1⁄2 cup butter in 8x8 baking pan or 8-inch cast-iron skillet. Put in oven while it’s preheating to melt the butter. Remove when butter is melted — this will grease the pan for you. If you happen to forget and butter turns brown and starts to boil, no worries. Just use a hot pad and pull out the pan when you remember or when you hear it popping in the oven ... whichever comes first. One could use a timer, but life’s more exciting in the kitchen without it.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar. Cut in coconut oil. Add cornmeal. Stir in eggs, milk, and melted butter from skillet. Mix until just combined, but don’t over-stir the batter.
- Pour into greased pan. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until center is set.
Taken from: The Made-from-Scratch Life: Simple Ways to Create a Natural Home. Copyright © 2016 by Melissa K. Norris. Published by Harvest House Publishers, Eugene, Oregon. Used by Permission.
Melissa K. Norris believes that the simple things in life are truly the best and that everything just looks better in a Mason jar. Her mission is to inspire people’s faith and pioneer roots. Through her popular blog and podcast, Pioneering Today, she reaches hundreds of thousands of people, inspiring them to live their dreams, while sharing easy tips and ways to live frugal, grow it yourself, and make it at home pioneer style. Her advice has been featured in The New Pioneer Magazine, Self-Sufficiency Magazine, and Molly Green Magazine. Melissa lives with her husband and two children in their own little house in the big woods in the foothills of the North Cascade Mountains. Visit her web site and follow her on Twitter for simple living tips and more.
The Made-from-Scratch Life: Simple Ways to Create a Natural Home (Harvest House Publishers, 2016), by Melissa K. Norris, inspires us to get back to our roots and back to the basics in the kitchen, in our home, and in our lives. Norris provides a collection of made-from-scratch recipes and life tips to help the modern reader appreciate the simple. Here, you can make and enjoy some homemade cornbread with a few basic ingredients.