- 1 pound ground venison
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried dill
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 container (16 ounces) plain Greek yogurt
- Salt, to taste
- 14 ounces pita bread, toasted Arugula
- Sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced Fresh cilantro
- Fresh vegetables of choice, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To make gyro filling: In large bowl, combine venison, beef, and pork. Using hand-held blender or stand mixer, mix on low speed until thoroughly combined, 3 to 5 minutes. Add bread crumbs, onion powder, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Turn mixture onto cookie sheet. Shape into loaf about 1 foot long by 4 to 5 inches wide. Bake for 1 hour, or until meat is cooked through. Remove from oven and let cool. Cut into 1⁄4-inch-thick slices.
- To make Tzatziki Sauce: Peel cucumber and remove all seeds. Chop finely using food processor, or grate with cheese grater. Use fine-mesh sieve to press as much water from cucumber as possible.
- In small bowl, combine cucumber, garlic, dill, lemon juice, olive oil, yogurt, and salt. Mix well using fork. Set aside.
- To make sandwich: Assemble sandwich with pita, sliced gyro, arugula, tomatoes, cilantro, and vegetables. Top with Tzatziki Sauce, and fold pita together.
Ashten Swartz lives on a small farm with her husband and two daughters. She enjoys cooking with fresh ingredients from her garden.
For more new sandwich ideas, see Summer Sandwich Recipes.