For more new sandwich ideas, see Summer Sandwich Recipes.
•1 pound ground venison
•1 pound ground beef
•1 pound ground pork
•1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
•1 tablespoon onion powder
•1 tablespoon dried oregano
•2 teaspoon garlic powder
•1-1⁄2 teaspoons salt
•1 teaspoon pepper
•1 medium cucumber
•1 clove garlic, pressed or finely chopped
•2 tablespoons dried dill
•3 tablespoons lemon juice
•1 tablespoon olive oil
•1 container (16 ounces) plain Greek yogurt
•Salt, to taste
•14 ounces pita bread, toasted Arugula
•Sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced Fresh cilantro
•Fresh vegetables of choice, optional
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. To make gyro filling: In large bowl, combine venison, beef, and pork. Using hand-held blender or stand mixer, mix on low speed until thoroughly combined, 3 to 5 minutes. Add bread crumbs, onion powder, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
3. Turn mixture onto cookie sheet. Shape into loaf about 1 foot long by 4 to 5 inches wide. Bake for 1 hour, or until meat is cooked through. Remove from oven and let cool. Cut into 1⁄4-inch-thick slices.
4. To make Tzatziki Sauce: Peel cucumber and remove all seeds. Chop finely using food processor, or grate with cheese grater. Use fine-mesh sieve to press as much water from cucumber as possible.
5. In small bowl, combine cucumber, garlic, dill, lemon juice, olive oil, yogurt, and salt. Mix well using fork. Set aside.
6. To make sandwich: Assemble sandwich with pita, sliced gyro, arugula, tomatoes, cilantro, and vegetables. Top with Tzatziki Sauce, and fold pita together.
Ashten Swartz lives on a small farm with her husband and two daughters. She enjoys cooking with fresh ingredients from her garden.