- 5 pounds green tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 orange
- 4 pounds apples
- 3 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 pound currants
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Wash and core tomatoes. Process through coarse grinder, and place in bowl. Sprinkle with salt, and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain juices, and cover tomatoes with boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain again, and set aside.
- Zest orange, and coarsely chop remaining orange segments. Core and chop apples.
- In large stockpot, combine tomatoes, orange, apples, brown sugar, currants, vinegar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger. Bring to slow boil, and cook until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Pour into hot, clean pint jars, leaving 1⁄2-inch headspace. Run small rubber spatula around inside of jar to release air bubbles. Seal with new and sterilized lids and bands. Process in boiling water bath for 25 minutes. Cool before storing.
For more, see Recipes for Colorful Canned Tomatoes