Brrr … the mornings are getting brisk here in Calgary! We’ve been under a frost warning for the past couple of nights, and the vegetable garden is nearly finished for the year. One of my best performing herbs this gardening season has been chervil. If you’re not familiar with this pretty, feathery-leaved herb, it tastes a bit like anise and it’s a perfect complement to fresh green beans in this recipe.
• 4 cups green beans, ends trimmed
• 1/4 cup fresh chervil leaves, chopped
• 1 tablespoon sesame oil
• 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
• Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Steam the green beans with water in a rice cooker or in a saucepan.
2. Drain the water from the beans, and place them in a large bowl.
3. Top with the other ingredients. Mix well and serve immediately.