Hints from Grand:
You can make "Drop Biscuits" by dropping heaping tablespoons of dough onto a greased cookie sheet if you don't want to roll them out.
You can also make the biscuits in a muffin tin by scooping up a 1/4 cup of dough and dropping it into a greased muffin tin.
4 cups of self-rising flour
1/2 stick of butter
2 cups of grated cheese
1 pound of sausage
2 cups of buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Place sausage in a frying pan with about half a cup of water. Mash sausage with a fork as it cooks because you want to have crumbled sausage. Cook until well done, and set aside.
3. Measure your flour into a large bowl, Mix in butter. You can use a pastry blender or, Grand's trick, you can grate the butter into the flour
4. Stir in the cheese then stir in the buttermilk. Start with the first cup of buttermilk and then add milk until the mixture becomes a soft dough. You may not need the whole second cup
5. Stir in the sausage.
6. Roll out the dough and cut with a biscuit cutter. Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on modern homesteading, animal husbandry, gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE