Made at Home Vegetables, by Dick Strawbridge and James Strawbridge (Mitchell Beazley, 2012), proves just how productively green you can be all year round. Whether you have a tiny urban plot, a terrace, a community garden allotment or plenty of space in your own garden, growing your own vegetables is one of the easiest ways to transform the way you eat. The following excerpt from the chapter "Summer" teaches you how to make garlic pizzas.
Purchase this book from the GRIT store: Made at Home Vegetables.
Image pizza crossed with garlic bread — and we don’t just mean adding a few slices of garlic, we mean really, really garlicky. This pizza is topped with a purée made from a whole head of garlic, roasted until soft, sweet and aromatic.
Garlic Pizzas Recipe
• 1 whole garlic bulb, plus 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
• extra virgin olive oil
For the pizza base
• 1 x 7g sachet of dried yeast
• 200ml (7fl oz) warm water
• 1/2 teaspoon sugar
• 300g (10oz) plain flour
• 1 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F), Gas Mark 6. Place the garlic bulb on a baking sheet and put it into the oven for 30 minutes. Allow the bulb to cool, then scrape out the softened inside of the cloves.
2. To make the pizza base, mix the yeast, water and sugar in a bowl and set aside for 10 minutes. Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the yeast mixture and mix well to form a dough. Turn out on a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes, then place in a greased bowl and cover loosely with clingfilm. Leave in a warm place for about an hour to rise, then divide the dough into 4 pieces and pull each one into a roughly circular shape with your hands or by rolling out.
4. Mix a quarter of the garlic purée with a little extra virgin olive oil. Dot several patches of the purée over each pizza base and sprinkle with the garlic slices.
5. Put the pizza on a baking sheet or a pizza tray (or a pizza stone, if you have one), drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until golden.
More from Made at Home Vegetables
• Grow Large, Juicy Garlic Bulbs
• Grow Your Own Sweetcorn in the Summer
• Sweetcorn Fritters With Salsa and Lime Mayo Recipe
• How to Grow Fennel
• Roasted Fennel With Blue Cheese and Chestnuts Recipe
• Grow White and Purple Kohlrabi
• Kohlrabi Coleslaw Recipe
Reprinted with permission from Made at Home Vegetables, by Dick Strawbridge and James Strawbridge, and published by Mitchell Beazley, 2012. Buy this book from our store: Made at Home Vegetables.