Great-Grandma’s Fruit Cake
• Basic homemade yellow cake batter
• Fruit of your choosing, sliced thin
1. Mix a basic homemade yellow cake batter. Pour a thin layer in six to eight round cake pans or cast-iron skillets. Bake at 350 F until done. Transfer from pans to racks to cool.
2. When layers are cool, spread each with fruits of your choosing. Great-Grandma used homemade chunky applesauce and cinnamon on layers of her cake; she also used home-canned berries or peaches, plums or pears sliced thin.
3. Spread meringue on top of each layer. Assemble the layers on top of each other; keep cold in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Interested in more? Check out Recipe Box: Make Your Own Cookbook Plus Heirloom Recipes from Carol J. Alexander.
Carol J. Alexander is the author of Homestead Cooking with Carol: Bountiful Make-ahead Meals. She writes and gardens in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Emily still does a lot of the cooking.