More of Annie’s wild edible plant recipes:
Fried Morel Mushroom Recipe
- Morel mushrooms
- Soda crackers
- Wash and cut fresh mushrooms into quarters, slicing the long way. Soak in large bowl of saltwater for several hours. If you are not going to cook mushrooms within a day or two after picking them, drain excess water and keep covered with damp paper towel and refrigerate to prevent mushrooms from getting soggy.
- Drain excess water and lay on cookie sheet.
- Preheat skillet (cast iron preferred) and about 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Beat several eggs into large bowl until well-blended. Place crackers in zip lock bag and roll with a roller until finely crushed; place in large bowl.
- Drop handful of cut and cleaned mushrooms into beaten egg, coating well. Individually cover mushrooms in cracker crumbs. Place in preheated skilled with butter. Sauté for about 5 minutes, turning as needed.
- Add more butter as needed and be careful not to overheat the butter.